It may seem absurd but trust me – I see it all the time. It’s not always obvious to you because it’s happening at a subconscious level. Here are some signs that you may be getting in your own way:
1) You procrastinate a lot. Things either don’t get done on time or not at all.
2) You’re a perfectionist. You can’t seem to finish things because well, it’s just not perfect yet. Maybe you don’t even start.
3) You’re frequently late. This is a sign that you’re not managing your time effectively and don’t have a handle on priorities.
4) You don’t have a good organizational system. This causes you to forget things, miss appointments or deadlines, or throw something together last minute.
5) You skip opportunities that could help your career or business. Either you miss the deadline, you tell yourself you can’t afford it, or you don’t even apply.
6) You make excuses or play the victim. Are you blaming others for why you’re not further along?
Here are two other major blocks: Fear and negativity. When you’re stressed out, it’s difficult to process information in a positive way. You can’t see the big picture – yet. I remember experiencing all of this and more after my accident, which was when I discovered the healing power of drumming.
What this looks like is either “Adult ADHD” or “entrepreneurial ADHD”. Take your pick. In case you haven’t heard me say this before: Stress triggers ADHD symptoms in just about everyone. ADHD symptoms are more pronounced in bright, creative, right-brained types. This doesn’t mean that it’s ADHD , however! Add vitamin deficiencies, allergies, hypoclycemia, and/or hormonal issues and you have a colossal case of brain fog and “Stuckitis”. You may also feel overwhelmed and swamped.
I recently worked with a client who was experiencing major ADHD issues. However, it became apparent that she also experienced some major trauma. She’s brilliant but was having difficulties moving forward. After one 90-min. session which included ADHD coaching and 30 min. of therapeutic drumming, she felt much calmer and less stressed. She called me a few days later and said she had a rush of clarity! She was then able to implement a new organizational system and is feeling much more confident and hopeful.
I will be working with her once a week for the next 3 months to make sure she stays on track and to continue the coaching and drumming. I am so excited for her! It told her she’s waited long enough. It’s time to heal, move forward, and claim her gifts. How about you?
Did any of this resonate with you? Feel free to leave a comment below!
Dori Staehle, MBA lives in the Raleigh, NC area and is the Chief Encouragement Officer and Rhythm Maker at Rock the Next Stage. She offers success and ADHD coaching and drum healing for people of all ages and business coaching for entrepreneurs and creative types. Dori developed the theory known as The Gifted/ADHD Connection and is considered an expert in giftedness, ADHD, creativity – and bouncing back. To contact Dori, click here.